Creative Youth Xchange @ Gallery Hotel announces details
Opening New Doors for Youths to Realize Their Creative Dreams
Creative Youth Xchange (CYX) is pleased to announce the top prize of a scholarship and a cash prize of S$10,000 and the formation of new partnerships with the School of Art , Design and Media (ADM) at Nanyang Technological University (NTU) and Samuel Seow Law Corporation (SSLC). The top prize of a scholarship is offered by the School of Art, Design and Media (ADM), Nanyang Technological University (NTU). ADM will also provide creative coaching at the CYX workshop in November 05. Samuel Seow Law Corporation (SSLC) will offer assistance and legal advice to the youth for the commercialization of their ideas.
PARTNERSHIP WITH ADM
2. Youths across Asia-Pacific participating in Creative Youth Xchange @ Gallery Hotel, which closes its call for entries on 9 September 05, will stand a chance to win the CYX/ADM Scholarship. This scholarship to the Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree program, tenable at the School of Art , Design and Media (ADM), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), is available for up to 4 years. In addition, the top 16 entries selected will receive creative coaching as part of the CYX workshop at Gallery Hotel, supported by faculty from NTU's School of Art , Design and Media.
3. “We share a common goal with Creative Youth Xchange, to empower artistic, creative and innovative minds to explore ground-breaking art, design and media. This partnership with CYX enables us to put this vision into focused action across the Asia Pacific region.” , says Professor Isaac Kerlow, Dean of the School of Art , Design and Media at NTU. More details on the School of Art , Design and Media at NTU are available in Annex A.
PARTNERSHIP WITH SSLC
4. CYX aims to go beyond helping youths showcase their ideas, to assist youths to commercialize their ideas. The CYX workshop will conclude with a public and trade exhibition for youths to be matched up with potential investors in the industry. Samuel Seow Law Corporation’s (SSLC) partnership with CYX will assist creative youths in recognizing, taking ownership of, and protecting their intellectual property – so that they can realize their dreams of commercially exploiting their ideas. SSLC will provide legal clinics focusing on intellectual property as part of the CYX workshop, and also be on hand to provide legal advice and representation for the youths during the CYX workshop.
5. “In order for youths to understand the commercial potential of their ideas, they first need to know what is intellectual property, before they can go about protecting it and incorporating such know-how and awareness as part and parcel of the creative process. With our background and hands-on experience in local and regional intellectual property law, we will certainly be in a position to offer some assistance in this regard. We are thus excited to partner CYX in this area.”, says Mr Samuel Seow, Managing Director, Samuel Seow Law Corporation. SSLC’s profile is attached in Annex B.
ON CREATIVE YOUTH XCHANGE
6. Creative Youth Xchange aims to provide youth of Asia Pacific with a unique platform to showcase their most cutting-edge creative ideas and talents and to realise the potential of their ideas. Creative Youth Xchange @ Gallery Hotel is the 2005 edition of Creative Youth Xchange. The call for creative ideas based on the theme “5 Walls: Defying Definitions” started on 5 May 05 and will close on 9 September 05. Youths across Asia Pacific, aged 29 and below are invited to re-interpret traditional definitions of space and submit their best concepts, plans and prototypes to Creative Youth Xchange @ Gallery Hotel at www.creativeyouthxchange.com . The top entries will be short listed and the participants will be flown to Singapore to realize their dreams in an exciting and intensive 2-week workshop on a three-dimensional canvas - the rooms of Gallery Hotel, mentored by leading creative individuals in this novel workshop. The top prize is worth a total of S$34,000, comprising the CYX/ADM Scholarship and S$10,000 in cash.
7. Creative Youth Xchange @ Gallery Hotel is co-presented by Creative Industries Singapore, Ministry of Information, Communications and the Arts, and Gallery Hotel, in partnership with the School of Art , Design and Media (ADM), Nanyang Technological University (NTU) and Samuel Seow Law Corporation’s (SSLC), and is supported by Lee Foundation.
8. Creative Youth Xchange was first initiated by Creative Industries Singapore, a division within the Ministry of Information, Communications and The Arts (MICA) in 2004. Creative Youth Xchange 2004 was a competition culminating in an exchange session. Creative Youth Xchange 2004 saw international creative icons as well as Singaporean business icons judging entries and sharing their insights with youth and top creatives on the challenges facing Asia ’s next generation of creative leaders. Among the judges were cinematic icon Francis Ford Coppola, legendary marketing strategist Al Ries, Ogilvy & Mather India Chairman as well as 1 st Asian President of the Cannes Lion Jury Piyush Pandey, CEO of Banyan Tree Group Ho Kwon Ping and Jennie Chua of Raffles Holdings.
9. More information on Creative Youth Xchange can be obtained from the website: www.creativeyouthxchange.com.
MINISTRY OF INFORMATION, COMMUNICATIONS AND THE ARTS
10 August 2005
Annex A – Profile of School of Art , Design and Media (ADM) at Nanyang Technological University (NTU)
Annex B – Profile of Samuel Seow Law Corporation (SSLC)
Annex C – Details on Creative Youth Xchange
Annex D – Submission Details for Creative Youth Xchange
For further enquiries on Creative Youth Xchange @ Gallery Hotel, please contact:
Ms Chong Shu Ying
Executive, Corporate Communications Department
Ministry of Information, Communications and the Arts
DID: (65) 6837 9623
Queries on Competition
Mr Gary Ang
Manager, Creative Industries Singapore
Ministry of Information, Communications and the Arts
DID: (65) 6837 9904