Raising translation standards
Create a collaborative platform among the public, private and people sectors to promote and raise translation standards.
The National Translation Committee (NTC) was formed by the Ministry of Communications & Information (MCI) on 1 March 2014 to oversee short-term and long-term plans to enhance whole-of-government translation capabilities, and see to improvements across the industry. It is a collaborative effort involving the public, private and people sectors to address translation-related issues.
The NTC is made up of members from the media, academia, the translation industry, as well as government representatives. The committee is chaired by Mr Tan Kiat How, Minister of State for Ministry of National Development, and Ministry of Communications and Information. You can view the list of members here.
The National Translation Committee will:
- Promote best practices among public sector agencies on procuring/producing translation.
- Create a collaboration platform among the public, private and people sector, to promote and raise translation standards
- Nurture the next generation of translation talents for Singapore
The NTC also works alongside three Resource Panels (RP), namely the Chinese RP, Malay RP and Tamil RP. The resource panels will provide expert advice on specific translation problems. Read more about the Resource Panels members here.
The Resource Panels will:
- Assist and support the implementation of the National Translation Committee’s initiatives, aimed at raising translation standards for the particular language; and
- Help standardise the translations of terms in the official languages in Singapore, and to advise on the appropriateness of terms in the official languages adopted by the media and government agencies.
As part of the NTC’s efforts to raise translation standards in Singapore, the Community-in-Translation initiative was launched in 2016 to reach out and engage the community through translation-related activities.
Members of the public are also invited to provide ideas and feedback on the NTC by emailing MCI_NTC_Secretariat@mci.gov.sg