Speech by Mr Lee Yock Suan, Minister for Information and the Arts and MP For Cheng San GRC, at the Grand Opening Ceremony of Rivervale Mall on 21 APRIL 2001 AT 11:00AM
I am happy to meet all of you here for the opening of Sengkang Town's newest addition -- Rivervale Mall. I congratulate NTUC Choice Homes for their successful completion of Rivervale Mall and we welcome all the newly opened shops as they serve to meet the residents’ shopping needs and convenience. I am told that the Mall has been fully leased out to favorites like NTUC Fairprice Supermarket, well known fast food outlets and other familiar names in the retail trade. The Mall serves as a distinctive and prominent landmark in Sengkang.
2. Living in a new housing estate, the residents of Sengkang have had to put up with the initial lack of amenities which are common to new towns at the early stages of development. With good feedback from grassroots leaders and residents, and with the cooperation of relevant Ministries and agencies, every effort has been and is being made to smooth over this transition. The Sengkang Town Development Steering Committee has worked hard to plan and push for more amenities and services for the residents of Sengkang Town. Chaired by Dr Michael Lim and assisted by all Cheng San MPs, the Committee has kept in close touch with residents’ needs and lobbied hard for the necessary amenities to be provided quickly.
3. To name a few improvements, we have persuaded HDB to provide two additional clusters of precinct shops at Blk 303 Anchorvale Link and at Blk 308 Anchorvale Road in September and December last year respectively. We have also requested for more void deck shops to be made available at Neighbourhood 2 and Neighbourhood 3 and these shops can be expected to be ready by the third quarter of this year.
4. Through our close workings with various community organisations, nine childcare centres have been set up at appropriate locations to meet the growing need for child care facilities in Sengkang. Another three childcare centres will be added by the fourth quarter of this year. The Committee has also successfully arranged for a family service centre to provide its range of services at Blk 223A & Blk 223D Compassvale Walk by the third quarter of this year. All these facilities and amenities will enhance the living conditions of the residents of Sengkang.
5. As the MPs of this area, we are lobbying to increase the number of commercial and social facilities such as a community library, student day care centres and parks as well as to improve the network of roads in Sengkang. We will continue to seek out new areas where improvements can be made. Do give us your feedback and suggestions as they are very helpful in our efforts.
6. We are liaising with MRTC, LTA and SBS to improve the roads and public transportation facilities in Sengkang. All of us can look forward to the opening of the MRT and LRT networks in Sengkang next year. They will enable you to travel smoothly within Sengkang and to other parts of Singapore. Many more shops and other commercial facilities will also become available at Sengkang Town Centre and at the LRT stations.
7. The completion of Rivervale Mall is a much welcomed addition to Sengkang Town. It now gives me great pleasure to wish NTUC Choice Homes, the Management of Rivervale Mall, NTUC Fairprice Supermarket and all the other retail outlets co-located here every success. All residents and visitors can look forward to an enjoyable and convenient shopping experience here.
MINISTRY OF INFORMATION, COMMUNICATIONS AND THE ARTS
21 April 2001