Welcome Remarks By Dr Tan Chin Nam at the Singapore Season Welcome Home Reception, Arts House
Dr Lee Boon Yang,
Minister for Information, Communications and the Arts,
HE, Alan Collins, British Ambassador to Singapore
Partners, Supporters, Ladies and Gentlemen
Good evening and welcome to the Singapore Season Welcome Home Reception. This evening, we celebrate the successful completion of the Singapore Season in London.
2. The Singapore Season in London was a platform of partnership. It showcased Singapore's artistic and cultural achievements and provided an opportunity for us to engage our business counterparts and interested audience in London. The Singapore Season brought to the forefront another facet of our city state - Singapore's potential as a place of creativity, ideas and enterprise.
3. The Season had an ambitious programme spanning six weeks in London, including performances in key arts venues by our arts groups, as well as associated events such as the Singapore Conference, Singapore Evening, Naming of the Uniquely Singapore Clipper, the Singapore Season Film Week and the Singapore Food Festival.
4. This extensive programme was possible only because of the strong partnerships we have with Singapore arts groups, arts venues in London, and the support of companies from Singapore and the UK and the unwavering commitment of individuals who volunteered their time to make this event happen.
5. The Singapore Evening especially was a glowing example of partnership. Besides several of our private sector partners who came forward by buying tables and by sponsoring the Evening, a multi-agency collaborative approach was taken to source and produce content for the Evening in consultation with our UK consultant. Specialists, artists and experts volunteered their time to provide guidance and curatorial directions for the menu, food preparation and presentation, artistic and cultural performances to ensure the smooth and impactful execution of the Evening. 25 students who are studying in the UK volunteered to act as guides to direct guests from Liverpool Street station to the dinner venue and as junior hosts at the exhibition and dinner. The Evening is indeed a demonstration of a successful partnership amongst the public, private and people sectors. I hope that all future Seasons are marked by such collaborative efforts.
6. Before I end, I would like to thank our partners and sponsors for their valuable contributions in making this happen. The London venues - Institute of Contemporary Arts, Peacock Theatre - Sadler's Wells, Wigmore Hall, Barbican Cinemas and Barbican Hall. Our many Singapore partners like the Singapore Tourism Board, the Economic Development Board and International Enterprise Singapore. Our UK partners - the British High Commission, the British Council, Arts Council England and Asia House and last, but not least, our sponsors:
- Ministry of Information, Communication and the Arts;
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
- Agency for Science, Technology and Research;
- DesignSingapore Council;
- Economic Development Board;
- International Enterprise Singapore;
- Monetary Authority Of Singapore;
- Media Development Authority;
- Singapore Tourism Board
- British Council;
- Arts Council England;
- Asia House.
- BAE Systems;
- Singapore Film Commission;
- Singapore International Foundation.
- Hong Leong Foundation;
- Neptune Orient Lines;
- Singapore Airlines.
- Metroline (a member of ComfortDelGro);
- Dairy Farm Singapore;
- Pico Art International Pte Ltd;
- Raffles International Hotels & Resorts.
- British High Commission;
- Contact Singapore;
- CPG Corporation Pte Ltd;
- Singapore-British Business Council.
7. I would like to express my deepest appreciation to all for making the Singapore Season a success. We look towards your continued support for future Singapore Seasons in other global cities.
8. I would now like to invite Minister Dr Lee Boon Yang to give his assessment of the Singapore Season in London.
9. Have a pleasant evening.