Parliament Sitting on 1 August 2017

QUESTION FOR WRITTEN ANSWER


*29. Mr Ganesh Rajaram: To ask the Minister for Communications and Information in the last financial year, what is the amount of Public Service Broadcast funds given to Mediacorp to finance the various programmes broken down into titles and genres, regardless whether they are produced in-house or are farmed out to independent production companies.

Answer:

Mdm Speaker, I thank Mr Ganesh Rajaram for his question on Public Service Broadcast (PSB) funds. 


2 Total PSB funding in FY16 was around $250 million. This supported the development of capabilities, channels and content, including about 3,000 hours of locally-produced PSB TV programmes to cater to the diverse viewing needs of Singaporeans. 


3 For content production, about 60% of PSB programme funding went towards current affairs, info-educational programmes and documentaries. The remaining 40% funded entertainment programmes such as local dramas, tele-movies and variety shows. PSB funding was also used to produce local content on digital platforms like Toggle, including shows like ‘Yes Mdm’ and ‘Run Rachael Run’, to cater to growing online media consumption.

Speech by Mr S Iswaran, Minister for Communications and Information and Minister-in-Charge of Cybersecurity, at the Total Defence Day Commemoration Event 2019 on 15 February 2019 Speeches Infocomm Media, Cyber Security, Libraries 15 Feb 19
Total Defence Strengthened with Addition of Digital Defence as the Sixth Pillar Press Releases Infocomm Media, Cyber Security, Libraries 15 Feb 19
Never Too Young to Give Back Stories Infocomm Media 15 Feb 19
MCI's response to PQ on public agencies' exemption from PDPA Parliament QAs Personal Data 12 Feb 19
MCI's response to PQ on postal service quality Parliament QAs Infocomm Media 11 Feb 19
Speech by Ms Sim Ann, Senior Minister of State, Ministry of Communications and Information & Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth at the launch of the Singapore Biographical Database of Chinese Personalities on 1 February 2019 Speeches Libraries 01 Feb 19