Parliament Sitting on 15 October 2020
QUESTION FOR ORAL ANSWER
*4. Mr Gan Thiam Poh: To ask the Minister for Communications and Information (a) how many Singaporeans have been trained in cybersecurity to protect our security network; and (b) what is the plan to have adequate Singaporean cybersecurity specialists to meet the challenges.
Cybersecurity is an important growth sector and a key enabler for Singapore’s economy and digital future. It is vital to nurture and grow our cybersecurity workforce to ensure our networks are well protected.
2. The Cyber Security Agency of Singapore (CSA) works closely with our industry partners and other Government agencies in order to do so. Based on the Infocomm Media Development Authority’s (IMDA) Survey, the number of cybersecurity professionals in Singapore in 2019 more than doubled to almost 6,000 compared to 2014.
3. To meet near-term demand for cybersecurity professionals, we facilitate the training of fresh and mid-career non-cybersecurity professionals for cybersecurity jobs. Since 2016, almost 5,000 Singaporeans have undergone cybersecurity training as part of the Tech Skills Accelerator programme.
4. Working with industry partners, we have increased opportunities for Singaporeans to take on cybersecurity roles. Companies such as Ensign InfoSecurity, Singtel and DBS offer traineeships under the SG United Jobs and Skills package to help fresh graduates gain cybersecurity industry experience. The Government will also hire more cybersecurity professionals. CSA has earmarked 120 places over the next two years for cybersecurity roles in Government agencies.
5. CSA has also worked with associations, industry and academic partners to introduce programmes under the national SG Cyber Talent initiative to reach out to the young. The SG Cyber Youth and the SG Cyber Women programmes have engaged over 7,000 participants to date, to encourage them to pursue a career in cybersecurity. Our Institutes of Higher Learning also offer dedicated courses for students to build up foundational cybersecurity expertise.
6. These efforts will nurture and strengthen our cybersecurity workforce to meet Singapore’s needs.